Month: August 2011
Take away selling is one of my favourite copy clicks. For those of you that aren’t sure what a copy click is, it’s a technique or tool used by a copy writer to get attention and write effective copy that sells.
No, take away selling is nothing to do with fish and chips or picking up your dinner on Friday night from the local Chinese take away!
One copy click I like to use is take away selling. As a writer and enterpreneur since 1998
take away selling came instinctively. It involves taking away
the product or service from the prospect. It can be done in a number of ways, and also qualifies your prospect.
- A heading with “What this is not” and then a bunch of bullet points with statements such as “this is not a multi level marketing scheme” and “this is not for those that want to be a millionaire working 2 hours per week”
- A statement such as “Only 20 applicants per week accepted” and then a list of qualifications or criteria for screening of applicants.
Here is some copy I used recently, you will notice I don’t pull any punches and am pretty direct, but then that’s the kind of gal I am!
WARNING: Pro Resumes Made Easy is NOT for everyone…
It is ……
- NOT for those who want to pay professional resume writing fees and don’t want to learn a skill that will change their career and ultimately their life
- NOT a book written by someone that hasn’t walked the walk and talked the talk. I am a Certified Advanced Resume Writer and since 1998 I’ve got interviews for 7000 people across the world.
- NOT for tyre kickers, whingers or moaners. If you need me to hold you by the hand, wrap you in cotton wool and think the world owes you a living…. “Pro Resumes Made Easy” is definitely not for you. If you are sure that you are more of a resume expert than I am OR that I’m some dodgy person that doesn’t really know what they are talking about then please don’t waste your time any further.
- I’m interested only in positive, hard-working people that want to change their careers and ultimately their lives forever
- NOT a system where you put in maybe ten seconds of work while sitting there in your PJs, then kaching! There is your new resume and job handed to you on a silver platter
- NOT for those that don’t want to earn more money doing a job they enjoy
- NOT one of those resume eBooks that should gather dust inside your computer’s hard drive and never be read or used. After purchase you’ll receive regular email news updates from me personally so we’ll always be in touch as well as an amazing bonus that will mean we’ll definitely be in contact after purchase. But more on that to come………
You might think that this copy is overly harsh and would turn the reader off. Actually the reverse is true, most readers will be thinking “that’s not me, that’s not me” and selling themselves on your product or service.
Those that really are turned off by take away selling are usually in the minority anyway, and aren’t the type of prospects you should be interested in.
To find out more about me and samples of my work click on the “About copywriting Chick” page
The point here is the power of words and headlines to stir the emotions, inspire, move, identify, raise the hairs on the back of our necks.
Headlines grab the attention and stick in the mind of your prospect.
Consider these famous headlines and movie grabs:
“I’ll be back.”
Arnold Schwarzenegger, The Terminator 1984
“My Mama always said, ‘Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you’re gonna get.”
Tom Hanks, Forrest Gump 1994
“Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!”
Clark Gable, Gone with the Wind 1939
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”
Russell Crowe, Gladiator 2000
“Father to a murdered son. Husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.”
Russell Crowe, Gladiator 2000
If you’re anything like me, these headlines or movie grabs stir your emotions. They grab your attention and make you feel.
These movie grabs and/or headlines stuck in people’s minds so much, that they are remembered decades later. It’s that kind of effect we’re looking for in a headline.
Make no mistake, when we make purchases we do so based on how we feel. Not because of the great features of the product. It’s emotions that stir us into action.
Your headlines need to not only grab the readers attention with both hands, they need to stir emotion in your prospect.
You can also have a fantastic offer within the headline, effectively killing two birds with one stone.
Here is an example of two different headlines based on one of my own products. Which one grabs your attention more?
How a 57 year old Sales Manager unemployed for 2 Years
Got a job paying $130K
Just 30 days after buying “Pro Resumes Made Easy”
Headline 2 in my humble opinion grabs the attention but also makes an offer. The copy from there on out tells a story which holds the readers attention enough to have them keep reading.
The key is to practice writing headlines. I’ve not only been experimenting and testing with headline after headline, but have been handwriting some great headlines to help them stick.
Try it and see, it works!
I’ve spent the last 13 years marketing individuals as a resume writer, and as of July 31st I’m a copywriter!
In July 2011 I travelled to Mackay Queensland to learn from Pete Godfrey, Wizard of Words and the best damn Copywriter in Australia.
I learned a lot and feel revitalised and ready to write copy that works (www.petegodfrey.com). I have more books here though, and plan on reading, reading and reading and keep learning as much as I can about this exciting subject.
I’m mastering the ability to turn features not only into benefits but also into feelings.
What do I mean?
Well let’s use the example of my resume writing ebook I wrote last year. What are some of its features, for example;
* It’s 115 pages long
* It gives samples of resumes that I wrote that worked for my clients
* It gives specific “how to” information (not “what to” info) on how to write a professional resume
If you’re human, you think Who Cares? If you’re a copywriter you turn these not only into benefits, but feelings.
* Every question you ever had about resume writing will be answered
* Don’t have to reinvent the wheel or think about how to write a resume, it’s all been done before!
* Saves time and frustration as all you have to do is follow the steps in the book and there it is, your new professional resume
The benefits are slightly better than features, but the benefits don’t really grab the reader as solving their problems and feelings. Someone that needs a resume writing ebook has problems and feelings that need to be addressed. For example, job seekers will be frustrated, overwhelmed, confused and not sure where to start writing a resume. They usually don’t know who to trust as there are a lot of conflicting opinions and information on the subject scattered all over the web. The question is, what will this new ebook do for them? What problem will it solve? How will they feel once they have it?
- How to get more job interviews without spending a fortune on professional resume writers (pages x)
- The SINGLE most critical resume step that means the difference between success or failure and can GUARANTEE a resumes that gets results in hours ( page x reveals all)
- WARNING: Resume blunders and how to avoid them (see page x)
- How to avoid an embarrassing resume that is thrown in the bin with a laugh (page x )
- What you must do NOW to dramatically increase your resume response rate by 100% (page xxx) Imagine getting that Dream Job Offer within days!
- The one explosive secret which will fill your days with more dream job interview requests in the next month days than most job seekers will ever see.
- Discover my most VITAL and confidential tips that most job-seekers will never know in their lifetime…
- Samples of winning resumes that actually got interviews for my Customers (page X)
- Relax safe in the knowledge of a 13 year Resume Writing Veteran who guarantees your success and prosperity
- Learn the successful actions, tips and insider secrets gained from 13 years of blood sweat and tears………why reinvent the wheel?
- Discover the specific A – Z step by step guide on the “How to” of writing a professional resume, not the general and non specific “What to” do you usually see in eBooks which is so frustrating!
See the difference? These bullets now explain the features and benefits but tap into the feelings of the prospect? We all make purchases based on emotions and feelings, we’re a cesspit of fear, concern, happiness, anger, worry you name it
These new bullets tap into these whether that be fear, security, safety or desire….
Try it and see the difference.
What do you feel? Could you be a copywriter?
</p> <div style=”display:inline;”> <img height=”1″ width=”1″ style=”border-style:none;” alt=”copywriter”src=”http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/conversion/964991217/?label=DinUCP_V7AIQ8bGSzAM&guid=ON&script=0″/> </div> <p>